Human Athlete Project
The Human Athlete Project mentoring program seeks to pair student-athletes of color with professionals in the Lexington community offering another resource for professional and personal development.
• Provide mentees the opportunity to gain broader perspectives about their career fields outside of athletics.
• Expose athletes to professionals of color in the Lexington community.
• Develop mentoring relationships and networking opportunities that will encourage personal and professional growth.
• Aid in the retention of people of color within the city of Lexington.
(Keep the P.A.C.E.)
• Passionate: Be motivated to further the development of young people.
• Authentic: Be honest, genuine and able to hold students accountable to growth.
• Connected: To advance the mentee, mentors should have the ability to share resources and make
meaningful networking connections.
• Educated: Keeping the pace, means our mentors have had the ability to finish. Thus, we require
our mentors to have graduated from a four-year institution.
• Offer guidance, share relevant knowledge and experience with mentee through in person one-on-one meetings and consistent communication via text, phone calls and emails.
• We ask that a minimum of one hour per month contact be made between the mentor and mentee.
• Mentor sessions are to be planned by the mentor according to the specific needs of the student.
• Set an example of professional practices in the career field.
• Be aware of the University of Kentucky Athletics and NCAA policies